Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Designing for Poor Motor Control

I am working on the design of a hand held device for patients that suffer the hypertonicity or spasticity caused by cerebral palsy, multiple scelrosis, brain injury or stroke. I have thinking about the disability consequences that result from these conditions. I have been researching assistive devices these patients might be using to accomplish common daily tasks like bathing, eating, walking and so forth.

I found this great site that listed the variety of assitive devices that people with motor control use to get through their day. From this list, I have been able to explore what tools people use and would be familiar with, I am hoping to understand why the designs of these devices help a person cope and apply those same principles into the device I am designing.

I am not an accessibility expert, but I am hoping to design something that will fit seamlessly into the lives of these patients and their caregivers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Minnesota STAR program is a great clearinghouse for information about accessibility:
http://www.starprogram.state.mn.us/index.htm
This page has links to lots of information related to software and applications, particularly state procurement:
http://www.starprogram.state.mn.us/Accessibility_Usability.htm
Email to staff connects you to knowledgeable people too.

DeeDee said...

Thanks for the pointer Meredith. You weren't kidding, what a great site. I was surprised to find something so comprehensive from our State.

Caverta Online said...

I don’t know If I said it already but …I’m so glad I found this site…Keep up the good work I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say great blog. Thanks!

ShareThis